I recently realized that in the background of the overall plot of 1984, world wars seem to be constantly going on. They have no impact on the plot whatsoever, but seem to always be there. I'm not sure how they started or how they're going, which makes me unsure why Orwell incorporates them. The Party might see them as a way to make their citizens embrace nationalism, but in my opinion there are many other ways to do this. Is Orwell simply adding to the pessimistic vibe of Oceania, or is there something more going on?
Lauren tends to have different views on life and the future than those in her neighborhood. After Amy's death and the cremation of her body, Lauren spends more time with Joanne who seems to be exactly what the rich want her to be: she doesn't believe they can escape their situation and simply hopes for a better life after death. Lauren is much more involved in her future and won't settle for less which I admire her for. It seems that many people agree with Lauren about the government's incompetence, but seem to be accepting and content with the fact that nothing will change. Lauren's imaginative approach sets her apart from Joanne, and so far she is alone in that approach.
I think something else is going on!
ReplyDelete